Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 1

The first day is behind me and I've decided on a two pronged plan for weight loss. The first thing is weight watchers, I mean have you seen those commercials with Jennifer Hudson. The second is to exercise daily.
I realized that losing weight is a really simple process, eat less calories than you burn in a day. So simple yet completely daunting. It's kind of annoying that it proposes to be so simple yet people have such a difficult time achieving their weight loss goals. If you lose too fast then you get flaps of skin hanging everywhere, too slowly and you lose motivation and give up. No wonder the weigh loss industry is so profitable. Hard work isn't fun and it seems in my experience that it's really the only way to lose weight. Blood, sweat, tears and lots of vegetables.
I've done this before, lost a lot of weight. When I lived abroad I went to an amazing boot camp which snapped me into shape and I lost in total about 50 pounds. Then I got pregnant with twins and took the whole eating for two thing way too far. Then I moved back to the states where there are so many eating options and I feel like I've been trying to eat them all over the course of the last year.

Here are the stats from yesterday.
I stayed within my points for weight watchers, barely.
I did 20 minutes of basic zumba.

Funny anecdote. Yesterday after I did my "workout" I mean really 20 minutes isn't anything, but after the first few minutes I was convinced I was going to have some sort of coronary so I didn't want to push it. My 6 year old life coach was calling out encouragement from the couch and critiquing my form. When I was done I didn't shower or change, I wore those sweaty monkey pajamas as a badge of honor all day. By the time I went to bed last night, after taking care of a couple of sick twinsters I stank. But I knew that I'd be working out again this morning so I decided against a nighttime shower. It was really gross and I won't be doing it again.


4 comments:

  1. Therese, I am so proud of you for starting with the weight loss publicly. I think that is very brave and it will help with the accountability. I am a part of #Mamavation moms. You should check out the website: http://www.mamavation.com. They are an awesome group. It is a weight loss sorority. Join the sistas!

    You can do this! I fully support you!

    Laura Lohr | My Beautiful Life
    http://www.lauralohr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT Start!!! Congrats! Seriously - be sure to give yourself props for deciding to take your weight loss journey public :) I can't wait to follow your journey :)

    I second Laura on joining Mamavation - for more than the accountability but also the support when you are struggling. We are all on this journey together and if you need ANYTHING, you can reach out :)

    Keep it up :)

    ~Shelley
    @momma_oz on twitter
    http://www.slightly-off-kilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think making any weight loss journey public is an awesome way to have accountability. As long as you are honest with yourself. That said, I commend you for doing it. It isn't easy. Stay focused and you can get this done!!

    I am another Mamavation lover. It's an awesome resource for Moms wanting to become healthy. There are a ton of people to cheer you on and talk you up when you need it. Consider joining!!

    -- Andrea
    @AndreaEmilien on Twitter
    http://overstuffedprincess.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll throw another mamavation pitch in for you. I also took my weight loss public. I became a mamavation mom after a year of being in the group. I didn't think losing weight would be possible. I had just had a baby & my back fused, but the more I walked the more the wrought came off. It was low impact and I got over that too much feeling. I can walk 4 miles a day now, but I started with just 10 min.

    Its hard work to lose weight, but it is worth it! Wear that stinky badge of honor as long as you can stand yourself. You worked hard you deserve it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete